I have cool news to share. I've sold my first two books to the lovely folks at Little, Brown and Company.
I'm an author!
Both books are about the little guy on the left there, Ghost and his friend Monster. The first book, Ghost Eats it All, is due out in time for Halloween 2006, and the next book, Ghost Gets Dressed is scheduled in time for Halloween 2007.
The people I've been working with at Little, Brown are just out of this world fantastic to work with. I love it when editors and art directors adopt you as part of the team. It's really the way I like to work. So a big thank you to Liza, Patti Ann, Fatimah, and Saho!
Also, a huge thank you to Maggie, my rep, who put all the wheels in motion.
Since my blog has kind of taken on an air of the "How-to," here's my advice on how to act when you sell a book.
- As soon as you get the email, scream some happy sounds.
- Reread the email in case you misinterpreted.
- Dance in your chair.
- Worry about whether you should call your husband or your rep first.
- Come to your senses and call your husband.
- Scream some more happy sounds.
- Reassure your dogs that you're not screaming at them.
- Call your rep, your parents, and your sibling(s).
- Reread the email, just to be sure.
- Happy sounds.
- Drink a cup of tea; all those happy sounds are hard on your throat.
- Email your critique buds with the news.
- Read their happy screams for you.
- Worry that you weren't supposed to tell your critique buds yet.
- Call your mom to make sure she won't be upset if you dedicate the first book just to your husband.
- Reread the email in case you were dreaming.
- Happy sounds.
- Start writing the next one.
See how easy that was?!?